A Thinking Woman

In honor of every woman who has located the "on" switch for her brain.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Binding A Strong Man

Admittedly, this argument can tend to be philosophical, although not entirely.

Here are two statements from Keith Mathison and Ken Gentry, respectively, that are taken from Thine is the Kimgdom: Studies in Postmillennial Hope Edited by Gentry.

The New Testament repeatedly declares that Satan was decisively defeated and restrained at Christ's first advent (Matthew 12:29, Luke 10:18, John 12:31, Colossians 2:15, 1 John 1:38). Hebrews 2:14 uses even stronger language that Revelation 20, saying throught his death on the cross, Christ rendered Satan "powerless". The binding of Satan dos not mean that his activity completely ceases (1Peter 5:8), but that he can no longer prevent the spread of the gospel to the nations (Revelation 20:3). The revelation that he will be briefly released at the end of the age dissallows any form of perfectionist utopianism. Satan, sin, and death will not be completely destroyed until the Second Coming.

"Christ accomplishes Satan's binding judicially in the first centure". Note that I clearly state that Satan's binding is accomplished judicially by Christ in the first century.
But then I go on to explain the consequences of that judicial action (I am not exegeting Revelation 20:2) "the binding increasingly constricts Satan throughout the Christian era (i.e., the 'one thousand years')". I do believe that Satan's power in the world is being gradually thwarted by the spread of the gospel and as an effect of his judicial binding...This increasing constriction is a consequence of the gradual growth of the kingdom of God throughout the world(e.g.,Matthew 13:31-33) Were Satan not legally boung by God (as per Revelation 20:3) this could not happen. However, Revelation 20 does lay the groundwork for this result by noting that Satan is bound for a particular purpose:"that he should not decieve the nations any longer" (Revelation 20:3). Since he is fully bound do that he cannot "decieve the nations", the gospel gradually goes forth and secures the nations, thereby increasingly constricting Satan in what he can accomplish.

Matthew 12:28-29-(Chrtist speaking)"But if I cast out demons by the spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or how can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first bonds the strong man? And then he will plunder (emphasis mine) his house."

What does plunder mean? With all due admiration and respect to my amillennial brothers and sisters, in their view of what will take place in the end times, there is no plundering.

If a thief wants to take a little here or there from a house, why go through the trouble of binding the strong man? In our day, we have lots of theives, but how often do you hear of people being bound in their houses for the purpose of the thief plundering their house? Thieves now days do not plunder houses, they take a little here and a little there. Maybe one or two things from several different rooms, but they also have no need of binding anyone :).

But that is not how Christ decribes the burglary in Matthew. The thief, first binds the strong man, then with no opposition from anyone, he is able to freely plunder his house. That means he goes room by room (nation by nation), taking everything valuable (God's elect) in sight, maybe he leaves the broken TV. The amillennial position would have you believe that with no opposition, the thief (Christ) will go room by room (nation by nation) and only take one or two things (a remnant). This would go against the nature of a thief.


TO BE CONTINUED...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friend, I am hearing you, but I beg to differ on your last sentence. A thief takes ONLY that which is precious! He doesn't bother with the dirty underwear, the can opener or the toilet paper. His nature is to take ONLY that which is precious (ie. selecting a people out of each nation - a remnant - precious - His own possession!). Also, I struggle with your use of the word 'nations.' For in Biblical context, didn't the word 'nations' generally refer to Gentiles? I am enjoying your posts and the stimulating comments.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. We had our car broken into last week (okay, we actually left it unlocked...stupid!). The "strong man" was bound, snoring in bed! :-) There were many valuable things for the thief to take ($100 in the middle console), but the only thing he took was my cell phone - VALUABLE! Anyway, does that just mean that he was a stupid thief or that thieves take small amounts of things - only that which is most precious to them? I just thought is was a fun analogy! :-)

10:08 PM  
Blogger Josh's Loving Wife, aka Angela Brisby said...

Hi Jen, I agree that the thief takes only that which is precious, I guess the question would be, how much in the house is precious? Little, or much?

I guess I just don't see why Satan would need to be bound if all Christ is going to take is just a little.

I agree that "nations" generally refers to the Gentile nations. I think that when God promised the nations would be an inheritance for Christ, he was refering to the Gentiles. I also think that when we are told in Psalm 22:27 that "All the ends of the world shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you." It is also speaking of Gentile nations. Of course Israel is also a nation, and will be included in the "all" spoken of.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, girl! I'm enjoying the dialogue, learning a lot, and seeking to formulate my own opinion about these things. It's fun to exercise the brain cells a bit. I am sorry that I won't be here Friday night to enjoy time with you!! We need to plan these "stogie" nights for a time when you can come up too!! :-)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Josh's Loving Wife, aka Angela Brisby said...

I agree. You'll probably think I'm wierd, but I actually like a good flavored cigar every once in a while too. It has to be flavored though.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Thinking Woman

In honor of every woman who has located the "on" switch for her brain.

Name:
Location: At My House In, Southern California, United States

I am forever grateful to be Josh's wife:) I am the 25yr. old mother of four kids under 4 yrs old. Next to my Sovereign God and my sweet and adorably Godly hubby, Gabriel Luther (3 3/4yrs.), Aaron Van Til (2 1/2yrs.) , "Emmie" Rebekah Emerald (15 mos), and Owen Isaac (6 weeks old) are the greatest blessings God has given me. And yes, I am still praying for more:) I am Reformed, baptistic, presuppositional, postmillennial, idealistic, quiver-full, a cessationist, a tradutionist, and I'm sure I could go on for a while, but I don't think I would amuse anyone but myself, so I'll spare you all.

Powered by Blogger