A Thinking Woman

In honor of every woman who has located the "on" switch for her brain.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Reformed Theology Regenerates the Intellect

I used to think that intellectually bright people were generally more attracted to Reformed theology than those who were less likely to try to think deeply. Being in Reformed circles, I look around me and see mostly very intellectual people. After a long look at my own life, however, I think I am pretty much convinced that this is not the case. I thought that since Reformed doctrines and beliefs are so systematic and profound in nature, intellectuals would "catch on" sooner than those who were less intellectual. It seemed that intellectuals would have the cognitive faculties to better understand and embrace these truths.

I failed to realize one thing though...it is the Holy Spirit who reveals truth.

Before I became "Reformed", I was the last type of person you would have categorized as intellectual. After all, I was a musician, with mediocre grades (one has to ask, why do those two things tend to go hand in hand?). The point being, I didn't know how to think critically. I was not taught to nor expected to. I know I was saved. But my thinking abilities had yet to be awakened.

It was when I met my then future husband (although I didn't know it at the time), that my intellectual world began to slowly open up. Josh first told me that there was no such thing as a "rapture". I thought he was crazy. He proceeded to tell me that Jesus didn't die for everyone without exception. I knew he was crazy. But as the weeks and months went by, it all made more and more sense in light of God's holy Word. After reading Thomas and Steele's Doctrines of Grace, I was thoroughly convinced.

You'll never believed what happened next...well, if you're Reformed, you will...I started thinking critically for the first time in my life. And so, based upon my own intellectual "regeneration", and similar stories I have heard from others, my conclusion is that the biblical doctrines of the Reformed faith, regenerate (not literally) the mind. This is not to say that one can't have their soul regenerated unless they are Reformed. The gospel works the same for everyone who comes to Christ. Reformed theology just explains how the gospel works, and who it works for. I'm sure a good Reformed theologian will object now and say something like, "You can't make a dichotomy between the soul and the mind." I agree. Once we are called to grace by the Holy Spirit, we are gradually, progressively, and constantly being sactified by the power of God's Word. All I am saying is that once the Holy Spirit reveals the truths contained in Reformed theology, sanctification of the mind seems to occur much more rapidly.

Ok, so any thoughts on this? Feel free to comment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh Brisby said...

Babe,

Good post again! Psalm 19 says that the word of God makes wise the simple. So, I think you are absolutely right; anyone can truly become "Reformed," whether they are intellectual or not.

We need not buy into the falsehood that only the intellectual types will become Reformed. Sanctification includes the intellect.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,
Your post made me think of when Jesus said regarding the Holy Spirit that it is He who will "lead you into all truth." I know that I had very little ability to reason before coming to Christ, a "carnal mind." However, once I came to Christ, although I was not in a "reformed" church, I did have the privilege of being in a church that taught us to be "Bereans," to study the Scriptures to see if what was taught was true. Because of this, there were many times that I would leave church as a young believer saying things like, "But 1 Thess. doesn't say anything about the rapture, so why are they teaching this?" The Spirit used a good church, although not reformed, to lead me to reformed doctrines, because they encouraged the study of the Scriptures. I am sad for those who are converted in churches where only "milk is taught," and they are not encouraged to question and study. I think that this stunts their sanctification and the growth of the intellect!!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Thinking Woman

In honor of every woman who has located the "on" switch for her brain.

Name:
Location: At My House In, Southern California, United States

I am forever grateful to be Josh's wife:) I am the 25yr. old mother of four kids under 4 yrs old. Next to my Sovereign God and my sweet and adorably Godly hubby, Gabriel Luther (3 3/4yrs.), Aaron Van Til (2 1/2yrs.) , "Emmie" Rebekah Emerald (15 mos), and Owen Isaac (6 weeks old) are the greatest blessings God has given me. And yes, I am still praying for more:) I am Reformed, baptistic, presuppositional, postmillennial, idealistic, quiver-full, a cessationist, a tradutionist, and I'm sure I could go on for a while, but I don't think I would amuse anyone but myself, so I'll spare you all.

Powered by Blogger