A Thinking Woman

In honor of every woman who has located the "on" switch for her brain.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Rejoicing Over the Gospel

Hubby and I were talking last night and we came to a conclusion.

Only those who realize that they can do nothing to earn their salvation, can truly rejoice over the Gospel.

There are some who believe that you must work to earn salvation. But we are told in the Scriptures that all our works are as filthy rags. If our salvation is such that a couple of filthy rags can earn it, then what a pitiful salvation it is. It is not worth rejoicing over.

But if our salvation is too pure, too perfect to be tainted by our human efforts, then rejoice! Because it is this kind of salvation that truly saves. Only faith in Christ's perfect untainted efforts can obtain this kind of salvation. This is the Gospel.

There are also some on Reformed circles who so stress the idea of staying in the covenant that there is no longer any room for the promises of God. There needs to be a balance. But again, our works are as filthy rags, so, how can they truly keep us in the covenant? I do understand the importance of obedience and striving to produce the good works we were created in Christ Jesus to do. But I think this is more for our temporal benefit. When we are obedient, we can have the assurance that accompanies an obedient life. In the eternal perspective, our obedience is as a filthy rag. It is inevitable, but it is counted as less than nothing.

At the risk of sounding antinomian, at this point in my life, at this point in my sanctification, I get more assurance from God's promise to preserve me, than from my obedience. My obedience, being more miss than hit lately, is inadequate to do anything more than remind me that I need God's grace and mercy. When I focus on my "staying in the covenant", I get utterly depressed. When I focus on my great God's preserving mercy upon me, I can truly rejoice over the Gospel. Because it is God who works in me to believe that I don't have to depend upon my works, only Christ's works are pure enough to accomplish anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh Brisby said...

Hallelujah!!!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Thinking Woman

In honor of every woman who has located the "on" switch for her brain.

Name:
Location: At My House In, Southern California, United States

I am forever grateful to be Josh's wife:) I am the 25yr. old mother of four kids under 4 yrs old. Next to my Sovereign God and my sweet and adorably Godly hubby, Gabriel Luther (3 3/4yrs.), Aaron Van Til (2 1/2yrs.) , "Emmie" Rebekah Emerald (15 mos), and Owen Isaac (6 weeks old) are the greatest blessings God has given me. And yes, I am still praying for more:) I am Reformed, baptistic, presuppositional, postmillennial, idealistic, quiver-full, a cessationist, a tradutionist, and I'm sure I could go on for a while, but I don't think I would amuse anyone but myself, so I'll spare you all.

Powered by Blogger